The days between Christmas and New Years Eve are some of the best days of the year.
The business of Christmas is but a memory and the new year is not yet upon us.
Each day blends into the next and all you have to worry about is which left overs to eat next. Your Mum’s famous salad or the last bit of Christmas cake?
It is also a time when many of us reflect on the year that was and set intentions (or resolutions, if you will) for the year to come.
Resolutions are designed to spark a positive change in our lives. What could be more positive than to live a more sustainable life and help fight back against climate change.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.Margaret Mead
There is no need to feel overwhelmed at the prospect of living more sustainably. It is not up to one individual to do everything. But we can all do something.
I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.Edward Everett Hale
That something may be small, or that something may be big. Just make sure it is something.
Start where you are. Use what you can. Do what you can.Arthur Ashe
20 sustainable new years resolutions
To get you started on your sustainable journey, check out these new year resolution ideas. There is something here for everyone.
- Don’t buy things you don’t need
- Eat less meat by doing meat free Monday or only eating meat every second day
- Reduce what you send to landfill by doing a rubbish audit
- Start composting your food waste
- Grow some of your own herbs or vegetables
- Stop buying bottled water and use your reusable water bottle
- Get a reusable coffee cup and always remember to take it when you leave the house
- Say ‘no’ to plastic straws
- Try and avoid plastic packaging at the grocery store
- Stop using plastic wrap and use wax wraps instead
- Stop using plastic plates and cutlery – even when your getting take-away
- Use a bamboo toothbrush
- Create a capsule wardrobe and break-up with fast fashion
- Repair items instead of throwing them away
- Get rooftop solar panels for your house
- Get a water tank
- Switch to a green energy provider
- Need a new car? Go electric
- Ditch your car and use public transport or your bike more
- Share your sustainability journey with others and show the world how we can all make a difference
For more ideas check out the sustainable steps series for tips on how you can live more sustainably every day.
Happy sustainable New Year!